Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Episode Two: Lady Carmilla

In the last chapter we met Ofelia and Lenore, who have been forced by circumstance to move in with their cousin Oryx at a creepy mansion where the lady of the house pays artists to live and work at their trade.



Lenny: Dressing for dinner? Really? This place is weird.


Ofelia: It’s just a little more formal than what we’re used to. Remember in Paris? We had to dress for dinner every night at that hotel with the dress code. The concierge made faces at me if I even walked through the lobby in jeans on my way out the door!


Lenny: Oh, you mean that one time you wore jeans in your whole life? I know you have a suitcase full of “dinner clothes” over there, but I am not wearing one of those dowdy performance dresses.
Ofelia: Oh, then don’t! Here, let me help you. Just this once, try not to embarrass me.


Oryx: Well, ladies, suit up! Before we head to the dining room, Carmilla wants to meet you in the parlor. She likes to meet new artists personally, and this is the only time she’s had today.
Ofelia: Okay. That’s fine.
Lenore: What’s she like?


Oryx: Well, um, she’s rather formal. She’s the one who insists on dressing for dinner, it’s kind of retro. And she and I play this game with introductions. I introduce her as Lady Carmilla, so you know what to call her if she doesn’t like you. If she does like you, she’ll tell you to call her Carmilla.


Ofelia: Hmm… What if she doesn’t? Oryx, if she doesn’t like us, will she ask us to leave?
Oryx: Oh, nonsense! She didn’t ask you to come here because she thought she’d like you. You’re artists! She loves funding art. She loves when the people she helped make it big. Meet me in the parlor. Everything will be fine.

***Later, in the parlor***


Carmilla: Come in ladies, have a seat! Help yourselves to some tea.


Oryx: Lady Carmilla, please meet my cousins Ofelia and Lenore. Girls, this is Lady Carmilla.
Carmilla: Thank you, Oryx. We will see you at dinner.


Carmilla: It certainly is lovely to finally meet the two of you. Oryx has told me so much about you. Please tell me, which is the pianist?
Ofelia: I am, Ma’am – I mean Lady Carmilla. My sister, Lenore, she plays the cello.


Carmilla: And I understand you began producing your own duets at fourteen?
Lenore: Yes, and touring at fifteen.
Carmilla: How old are you now?
Ofelia: I’m 22 and Lenore is 21.
Carmilla: Oh, wonderful. Just starting into adulthood.


Carmilla: I suppose we shouldn’t leave the others waiting. After you, please.
Ofelia: Certainly.


Carmilla: Greetings. You may all take your seats, Mercy won’t be joining us tonight.
Ofelia: Huh?
Lenore: Oh, please keep your mouth shut…


Ofelia: You…you followed us straight in here! How did you change clothes?


Carmilla: Excuse me?

No comments:

Post a Comment